RPC Standards #31
RPC Standards · 27 Jul 2026 · 28:33
Call 31 of RPC Standards, held on 27 July 2026. Client teams and tooling developers work on the shared JSON-RPC specification.
Speakers
Topics
From RPC Standards, hosted by Ethereum Foundation.
Transcript
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Hello? Hello?
Sorry, good afternoon, good evening. And am I audible? I don't know what's wrong with my mic.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I hear you.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, okay. Thank God. Should we… Begin, or do we wait for Felix?
Chase Wright: I don't know if Felix is coming, so… I have merge rights to the repo now. But…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I saw that. Okay, let me share my screen then. Is it visible?
Chase Wright: Yeah.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. I think most of the PRs, we kind of, like, have, Old spending ones. So I'm not sure which particular order we would like to go.
Chase Wright: It doesn't really matter.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, so we can… But, Well, Lido? Okay, so we have this, this is… it's for 7pool. It's still on… that's… Okay, this is a zecution witness, actually.
Chase Wright: Sorry, what?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I mean, this is, the debug execution witness, the part of the issue I raised, Think… Yeah, this… do we still have anything on it, or we should wait for, the stateless, the zkBM team, too.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, I… I only drafted the… the, like, YAML standard portion, right? And the only one who's responded was Tulio, and he requested the keys field be made optional, so I did that. But beyond that, like… I'm not really the one driving the implementation of this API, so I don't really have… useful input. Into how we progress? So…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay.
Chase Wright: quiet some drift.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, my… I had, I wanted to suggest we take it to ACDE. I don't know if that, sorry, ACDE, I don't know if that would make sense, because… of the different… first of all, the different, client implementation that I stated out on the issue itself, then… If the ZKVM team, I think CAVE, I don't know if I'm pronouncing his name correctly. to sort of chime in on this, Paul. I don't know if I should take it, or you want to continue, since you already started the PL on it.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't… I don't know. I… like, I'm not… I don't really work on the ZKVM stuff, so I don't know. It… every client needs changes, to, like…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yes.
Chase Wright: at each other, so I don't know.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: What I'm saying is, should we bring it up to ACDE for them to look into?
Chase Wright: Sure.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. Thank you.
Stavros Vlachakis: Maybe it would be useful to bring it up on some ZK EVM call.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I don't know, I'm… Okay, I don't really know if they have calls for ZKVM.
Kevaundray Wedderburn: Yeah, hello, I… yeah, I don't know what input is needed, but there is a zkVM monthly call… it might be in the PM slash issues, or we might not have created it yet, but it's in about 2 weeks, So not next week, but the week after, next.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, okay, so we have this, issue on debug execution witness. We wanted, you guys to… I'm sharing my screen, I don't know if you can see it. I don't really know how to share a link and then open the chat on Zoom. So we have this, issue, and we would like, the team to take a look at it and comment on it, because currently, Various clients have different themes implemented. This is the issue details. So, we want to, like, know what should be spec'd, and then how client Zoom should actually, like, go about it.
Kevaundray Wedderburn: Okay, yeah, makes sense. So… We also have the specs, at least for what this thing returns in the execution specs. And we've been testing some of the clients against it, because this is where, like, most of the discrepancies come from. There are some, yeah, minor discrepancies with the format that gets returned, as in, like, some return the keys and others don't include the keys. But yeah, in terms of things being returned, it's really being spec'd or tested using the execution specs. I don't know if that makes, sense. I can also get the link to this, and… Send it to Zoom…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So, yeah, I can send you the link, but I'm not sure… I have to, like, stop sharing. I don't know how to, like, operate Zoom perfectly.
Kevaundray Wedderburn: Oh, I could just… Complain.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I can't find the chart. Hmm…
Kevaundray Wedderburn: I could look at the repository, execution apiary…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, I just sent it on the chat.
Kevaundray Wedderburn: Oh, okay. Okay, thanks. Yeah, I can definitely review this and also send it to folks to look at as well. I think it's fairly non-controversial. In terms of what should be returned? So it should be okay to review. Headers, code, state… yep. Maybe one… comment… or is my, maybe, ignorance, but in terms of versioning, how would this work? Because once we have a different state try, we would essentially change The state field, for example. And, well, likely most of these things.
Chase Wright: So… I mean, historically, JSON RPC hasn't dealt with versioning very well. So, really, we have two options. One, we can… we can stick a V1 prefix on the API itself. and then move to a V2, in the future. Or, you know. every… every other method that doesn't have a V prefix, we just… You know, we retroactively update it and change it, In the very near future, we hope to have releases for the JSON RPC specs. So we could… we could deal with it that way as well. Or, there could be versioning information returned within the, you know, body of the response, I don't… I don't really know the best way to handle that. EIPIs?
Kevaundray Wedderburn: Okay, yeah, so I guess it seems like a general thing. The issue that I mentioned also comes up with EF Get proofs, because that's somewhat linked to the current state tree, so we'd have it there as well. So yeah, I guess it's a general issue on versioning.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, I actually have, it has a question for the agenda, because we also need to figure that out, which I'm not sure how. We are going to do that. Although it was Kira that was… Pushing this forward before. Boya, I don't really have an idea on how we're going to go about it, the best way to go about it.
Kevaundray Wedderburn: Yeah, makes sense. Yeah, I guess it's not super important now, but it might be good to be forward-looking, in the future.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, we'll definitely find a way to do this, then I think, hopefully, we'll be able to do it soon. We did a pre-release sometimes to test how the versioning works, but… View. So, moving on to the Nest PR, which is this… It's 01. I guess since you have Mejean Wright, is this okay?
Chase Wright: So, if you would have asked me 3 days ago, I would have said, yes, it's okay, and we can probably merge it. I didn't really want to… approve and merge my own PR. However, if you look at 787, which is the… the issue that this PR was… or the… the superseded pull request. Someone replied 2 days ago, with… small comments and questions to clarify. So, I haven't looked at it yet. So I think… I think we need to look at those comments and questions, maybe address them. And then… if needed, update the PR. So I… I don't… I don't know the answer right this minute.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry, does anyone have any comments on this? I guess not. Maybe we can tag Felix to it.
Chase Wright: I mean, I just haven't had any time to review the feedback and questions. I know there's a question in Discord about, testing build block? not working, or something. So, we gotta look at it. I think we can just backlog this one for this week and come back to it.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah. Okay. Then it's December 1. Okay. Yep. We can look at H5-1. But we also have in mind that BAO doesn't have, like, a test, the .io files are not well created, if there is a .io files in here.
Chase Wright: So, I haven't had a chance to test or look at this one. I mean, it… it looks fine on the surface, but I… I haven't tested it. I don't know if it even needs new IO phones. It might.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, and also, the BAO implementation, there is no .io files for it yet. We have it, like, on, A pending list of things to do.
Chase Wright: Because the first.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: SPO. was merged without the .io files, as I think there was no Get implementation of it, or something happened. I can't recall what exactly.
Chase Wright: Right, so for that, we need Glamsterdam support, right? And so… I have. I think we talked about it in another issue, but we don't… we don't have Glamsterdam support in HiveChain yet. So we can't test bells yet.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Do we approve this? It's 5-1?
Chase Wright: I don't know, I need to… I need to test it. I… I haven't had time. I'll do it… I'll do it probably today. I'll look at it.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, I already, tagged Terrence on this. Okay, you also approved it, some hours ago. Is it okay if we match it, or…
Chase Wright: I think so. I mean, I was waiting for this call to see if anyone had any concerns, but it's just a two-line… This is a two-line change to identification markdown. I think it's mine.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, because I already tagged, Terrence on the group chat to look into it, because there was something added after his initial approval. Then we have this… this has been pending for, like, the wow now. Although, felix had a comment on it, so I'm not really sure what… under conflicts.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't know.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Question is… Do we tag, Carrie to, like, update the PR? Is this something she can do?
Chase Wright: I don't know if Carrie is working on RPC standards anymore.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, that backs my question. Do we tag her, or do we need to? Holy cow. She isn't okay. Thank you. Does it make sense? I don't know if the PR actually… because, Felix had, Some comments about it, and he assigned himself to it, so… Do we drop this from feature calls for now, or… we can make a new PR and then continue the conversation.
Chase Wright: I think we should just drop it for now. And… Come back to it.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. So most of the PRs are actually from you. And… we… I'm not really sure what this is about, but you already made a comment about it.
Chase Wright: Yeah, so this is… so, this is two parts. The first part is… is specifying Call Tracer, which… I agree we should do and want to do, but… this particular two-dimensional gas tracing is part of Glamsterdam, I think? And so, as I said, there are two Hive PRs. Doing this… So, this is just on hold. Until we can get… Hive support.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, I guess the best person to look into it is Felix. Or do you have access to Mejing Rights on Hive?
Chase Wright: I do not. And also, I'm… these are semi-vibe-coded PRs that I'm not 100% confident in, so someone with more EVM experience than me should definitely review them.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, I also don't understand, Hive most of the time, so…
Chase Wright: lightclient might be able to help.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah. Terrella, Clint, do you have any comments on this?
Lightclient (Matt Garnett): I would have to look at.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, thank you. And I think the last is this… Yeah. We had this pending, and… the PR… this is supposed to go in, but I'm not sure what's still holding up, because the other PR that was blocking this got matched a very long time ago.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, we've talked about the ET Subscribe thing on, like, 3… 3 different calls, and… I don't think anyone really has an opinion. So, like, if we merge this as is, we're just merging this… the spec file? And there's no tests for it. And… it's really hard to, probably, to generate Tests for it. So I don't really have an opinion, same answer I gave the last 3 calls, like… We could just merge it, and say this is the spec, and then… Not deal with the tests. It wouldn't be the first time.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Or will it be okay to merge it and then do with the test later on?
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, I guess it's okay. I don't know if anyone else has an opinion.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry, does anyone have an opinion on this pair? I guess not. I think that's, like, all we have on the agenda for today, Dan. We already touched about the release. I don't know if anyone else has something to say or add to the chat, to the agenda. Or any comments on how we are going to… better ways we are going to, like, do the official release for API? I guess not also. I think we can call it a day. Thank you all for joining the call, and see you next time, next two weeks.
Kevaundray Wedderburn: Great, thank you.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, oh, so, okay, I think Sim is here. Sorry, I'm so sorry for trying to end the call. We, we did have a talk on, the error codes. I don't know if Sim has any update on it, although the main update was supposed to come from Simra and then Felix, but they are still not in the call, so I don't know if.
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: Yeah.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Updates based on that.
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, I was just waiting for them to join and give some opinions, because the last time I asked, they said the discussion was still ongoing. I don't believe we have any concrete updates on this. Maybe it's, it's best if we can… You know, jump on a breakout call or something when everyone is available. And sort this through, and not wait for this, maybe? I did propose that, haven't gotten any update, but maybe I'll follow up on it again.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, I don't really know I don't know if Chase has something else to say. Because the… the whole… the last call which Felix joined, he said, Simra was working on it, so I'm not sure of… Any other photo development, and…
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: Yeah. Yeah, same. Yeah, I was just, hoping to join today's…
Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't have any insight either, other than what Felix said in the last call. I don't know if CINA is working on JSON RPC Standards anymore, either.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Wait, I think I tagged him on the chat, okay, okay.
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: I mean, if we don't catch any update, maybe in the next 2 weeks, probably. I personally would prefer to go with, Chase's PR. With just some slight modification. to be honest, I think it's better to keep the, concerns of, eat, simulate separate than what we're just trying to do. And then, maybe error codes B2 or Simulate B2 can try and address that. Because it's currently blocking anyone to actually implement and make use of these error codes. That's… that's just my two cents. Maybe… maybe we'll wait for Felix also in the next meeting. Or, or we can start a thread again. Yeah, that's the only thing that's blocking currently, isn't it? I think, Eat Simulate is the only thing that's bringing some confusion into the mix.
If you just keep that separate. you know, consens really separate. I think we should be okay to… to just, you know, go ahead with Chase's PR. It wasn't draft, I believe, but we can take a look at this one more time. The next meeting.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: But will it be okay for you to, like, open a trade on, Discord so that,
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: Yeah, I already did. I'll try to respond in the same thread again. Maybe, maybe this time I'll get some answers, but yeah, I'll follow up on the thread.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, alright. So thank you very much for keeping up with this.
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: Oh, miss. Thank you, guys.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Alright. I think that's, like, the last thing. Thank you all for joining. See you next time, next two weeks, yeah.
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: Thank you, everyone. Bye-bye.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Bye.
Stavros Vlachakis: Bye.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh…
Transcript adapted from ethereum/pm, CC BY-SA 3.0.