FOCIL Breakout #43

FOCIL Breakout · 29 Sept 2026 · 21:32

FOCIL Breakout #43, held on 29 September 2026. FOCIL, or fork-choice enforced inclusion lists under EIP-7805, is a proposal to make it harder for block builders to censor transactions. Teku fixed two issues reported by EthPandaOps, and FOCIL devnet 0 was imminent.

Speakers

Topics

From FOCIL Breakout, hosted by Ethereum Foundation.

Transcript

Justin Traglia: Oh, hey, sorry, I didn't realize this call even started. Or the meeting room.

Jihoon Song: Hey, no worries. How's it going?

Justin Traglia: It's going well, just waking up. I'm reviewing, bug bounty submissions. How about you?

Jihoon Song: Nice close. Yeah, I was just preparing for this breakout. Looking into EIP stuff… Ava?

Justin Traglia: Yeah, Evan.

Iván | ethrex: It.

Justin Traglia: Any success in, The thing that you mentioned to me yesterday. Jihoon.

Jihoon Song: Oh, yeah. Successful. Yep.

Justin Traglia: Great to hear.

Jihoon Song: Hello, Mehdi. Hello, Cristian.

Mehdi Aouadi: Well, guys.

Cristian Conache: Hello, everyone.

Jihoon Song: you All right, let's get started. Hello, everyone. Welcome to FOCIL Breakout 43. We're close to launch, FOCIL devnet 0, so shall we start with client updates?

Iván | ethrex: I can start.

Jihoon Song: Go ahead.

Iván | ethrex: okay, on our side, we've been updating the… The branch with the latest spec tests. I saw that my PRs fixing stuff on the execution spec side were merged. And… All that was, Left was releasing a new version, including those fixes, so now it should be fine. I just checked Hive, and we are failing 3 tests, so now I'm focusing on making them pass, but we should be… we should be good by… in a couple of hours.

Jihoon Song: Do we need another release after 0.3.0 release?

Iván | ethrex: No, no, the 0.3 release is good. We are just failing 3 tests that I'm working on them right now.

Jihoon Song: Okay, cool. Thank you.

NC: For Lodestar, we have also rebased the FOCIL branch on top of the beta.2 release. And, we have also hooked up, with the… Gossip validation spec tests, and, they're all passing.

Jihoon Song: Great to hear. Thank you, Asif. Has survey odd passing. Any other clients?

Mehdi Aouadi: Yeah, I can give an update for Teku. This morning I fixed the two issues raised by EthPandaOps. And while doing that, I discovered another issue I'm fixing. Hopefully, just after the call, I would publish a new docker image for devnet 0, and we would be ready.

Marc Harvey-Hill: On Nethermind side, not too much to update. We're, ready for the devnet. Just, like, work on a few small fixes and think a bit about the, FOCIL and frames interaction.

Cristian Conache: On the Lighthouse side, we're also pretty close to having a devnet 0-ready branch, including our work so far. We're still working through some small things on the gossip verification side and new payload v6 request. So we have to… we hope to have a branch ready maybe this week.

Fabio Di Fabio: Yeah, on Besu side, the… We are ready for the devnet. I need to review some Hive tests that are still failing.

Jihoon Song: So it seems like… Both ELs are failing some tests, but… Are we okay with going with devnet 0 as is? Or do we have to fix it? Should be good.

Fabio Di Fabio: No. I think we we should go.

Jihoon Song: Okay, cool. Thank you. And… If devnet 0 is ready for Lighthouse, please share in the chat. Cristian, I mean, at 8RND. So we can add it.

Cristian Conache: Sure, I'll share once it's ready.

Jihoon Song: Okay, cool. Thank you. Alright, thanks for sharing the updates. Let's move on to spec updates. Do you want to discuss Beacon APIs? Nancy or Nico.

NC: There's really not much… I think Nico, brought up that, we should… refrain from merging the Heze Beacon API spec. For now. Because they're still, trying to merge all the Glamsterdam Beacon APIs into the current release… into the next release. Before we start, merging the Hezes. Regarding the Beacon API spec, there's really not much change in terms of, endpoints. But I think Nico also, caught an oversight, which is the inclusion list bits. We forgot to include that into the payload attributes event stream. Which Lodestar currently doesn't implement that. Other than that, there's not much.

Jihoon Song: How are other clients doing with Beacon APIs? Did Teku and Lighthouse also implement Beacon APIs?

Mehdi Aouadi: I believe we have… we've implemented most of them. I need to double check, to be honest. But yeah, I think for Teku they're already implemented, yeah.

Cristian Conache: Same on Lighthouse side. They should be implemented.

NC: What about event stream?

Cristian Conache: I will have to check that. Not really sure yet.

Mehdi Aouadi: For Teku, we have the including the SD-VIN stream. I need to check if… There are still other missing.

Jihoon Song: Cool. Do we have… Any other stuff to discuss?

Iván | ethrex: This is not regarding, the Beacon API specs, but regarding the FOCIL plus frames specs. We are almost done with them. should be done by tomorrow, or later in this week, but it should be good to present them in the frames breakout, if it's okay. I will do it in the next breakout of FOCIL, but Probably birth sooner, to do it soon.

Jihoon Song: Great, this. Very nice to hear. FOCIL Breakout is in next week, right?

Iván | ethrex: Oh, I thought it was in a couple of weeks, not sure. FOCIL Breakout in two weeks, but the Frames one in next week.

Jihoon Song: Next week, yeah. Okay, cool. Just to confirm, that's… We were talking about execution specs, right? Not consensus specs.

Iván | ethrex: Yeah.

Jihoon Song: Okay. Circling back to… the engine API stuff, sorry, Beacon API stuff, before touching FOCIL changes with frames. Yeah, I believe this is the right PR that… We're talking about… Excellent. Oh, yeah. Eduardo, do you wanna… do you have something in mind to present? About the change?

Iván | ethrex: Sorry, that was for me.

Jihoon Song: No, I was asking. Tuma, because he asked me in the chat.

Iván | ethrex: Okay.

Jihoon Song: Maybe worth, yeah, sorry, maybe worth presenting what would change. Straight put mechanism for index-based mechanism. Yeah, we can… discuss what to change on the CL side. In the next possible breakout. I'm. Index-based mechanism, yeah. Yeah, that sounds great. So, Either you or I can prepare something so that people can be aware of. What will be changed? on the CL to support the interaction between FOCIL and frames. And, yeah, we can… have that…

And the agenda for the next breakout. The chat… Justin did ask. When do you want to include simple CFI features into Heze specs? Like, EIP8015… We are… Gonna work on another EIP It's by Mac… it's by NC. Nice. It's 8365 without the exit feature. So… Definitely, they were not gonna make it to devnet 0, but… When do we feel about…

adding them into devnet cycle. Or… Do we need to bring that up to like ACDT CL breakout?

NC: I think it's… I think it's still too early to tell. I think that depends on… I don't know, the outcome of devnet 0, I guess.

Jihoon Song: Yeah, makes sense. Okay.

Justin Traglia: Yeah, I mean…

Jihoon Song: or.

Justin Traglia: We should wait.

Jihoon Song: Yeah, go ahead.

Justin Traglia: After devnet 0. But I was just getting, like, rough… Feelings for this. And Tamar, I think it. We can't SFI something until it's been included in a devnet. So If my understanding is correct.

Jihoon Song: Yeah, that's my understanding, too. I think we need to put things into devnet once it's CFI, and if it's stabilized and making good progress, then we can consider CFI-ing them.

Justin Traglia: Yeah. I, I would advocate to include them as soon as possible. So probably devnet 1 or devnet 2, if possible.

Jihoon Song: Yeah, so… We can open PRs, adding those CFI features. Like, 8015, 8365. And… Based on the result of devnet 0, we can decide to include which of them, and in which cycle.

NC: I also realized that, Barnabas is pushing, to get a devnet up for shorter slots. Which, is on top of Heze. I don't know, like, how… with that. would the timeline be depending on also devnet 0, or is it something, that's running parallel?

Jihoon Song: Yeah, it's not… CFI. Yeah, so… Not sure what we can decide on. Quick slots, definite timing.

Justin Traglia: Yeah, I mean, he is pushing for that. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. But yeah, you're right, it does depend on Heze. I wouldn't. Suggest launching or trying to do anything before the first, as he also does not.

Jihoon Song: Yeah, I think we can, for now, focus on launching FOCIL devnet 0 and this week we're going to have ACDC so we can see Which EIPs will gonna get CFI more, and… Yeah, we can… Start from there. Actually, that's all the agenda that I prepared for today. Do we have anything? More to discuss, or any questions or comments?

We can go ahead and wrap up this call, so… Two weeks from now, we can discuss… Frames and FOCIL interaction, and the necessary changes. on the CL and EL, and probably we're gonna discuss more before DEF CON, so… Yeah. Thank you guys for joining, and… Theorem 2x.

Justin Traglia: Thanks, Jihoon.

NC: just.

Justin Traglia: Bye, everyone.

NC: Thank you.

Fabio Di Fabio: Thank you. Bye.

Jihoon Song: Thank you. Bye-bye.

Cristian Conache: Thank you.

Transcript adapted from ethereum/pm, CC BY-SA 3.0.