FOCIL Breakout #25

FOCIL Breakout · 16 Dec 2025 · 21:48

FOCIL Breakout #25, held on 16 December 2025. FOCIL, or fork-choice enforced inclusion lists under EIP-7805, is a proposal to make it harder for block builders to censor transactions. Reth and Erigon interop testing succeeded after blob spamming was disabled, and FOCIL was considered for inclusion in the Heka and Bogotá fork.

Speakers

Topics

From FOCIL Breakout, hosted by Ethereum Foundation.

Transcript

Justin Florentine: What's up, cat herders? Good morning.

Pooja Ranjan: Very good morning, Justin. You always add a lot of energy in the call.

Justin Florentine: I just started my second cup of coffee, so, you know…

Pooja Ranjan: Had early morning, I am on the first one yet.

Justin Florentine: Fuck.

Pooja Ranjan: Yeah.

Jihoon Song: Hello guys, I think we can wait a few more minutes until we have more people.

Alright, 3 minutes in, I think. We can kick this off.

Akash | ECH: Yeah, we are live.

Jihoon Song: Okay, thank you. All right, hello everyone, welcome to Fossil breakout number 25. I've prepared 3 agenda today, 4… Yeah, hello, Stefan. The first one is… A fossil has CFI for HECA. So, we can talk a little bit about it. And then, as always, we can move on to development updates. And then, as a last one, I haven't updated the GitHub issue yet, but I just wanted to ask, what do we think about, like. when to have the next breakout call, because some people might have some vacation for next week. Yeah, that's the third and last agenda. So… Yeah, let's jump into the first one. So, you know, as everyone knows. Or you might know, Fossil has CFIs for HECA, and…

there will be the headliner process begins on January 8th. It will last for a month, and then we will pick the headliner for HECA. Here's the… Ethereum Magician Post, if you want to learn more details. Let me share it in the chat. I know that it's not done yet, but I just want to say thank you, everyone, who has been researching and developing fossil voicing out for fossil… Attending ACD calls, and also breakout. Talking to many people in various channels. Sometimes it goes contentious unexpectedly, whether you are pro or against Fossil sharing your constructive feedback. Has been… and will be helpful.

We're not done yet, but we're doing a great job, I'mma say. We have 2 months more to go to SFI Fossil, and then many months to go to ship it, but we got this. Thank you. Yep, so next up, development updates. Maybe I can go first. I've rebased the EL spec, I mean, execution spec, from Osaka to Amsterdam. Here's the link if anyone wants to take a look into it. And… yeah, that's pretty much it from my end. Does anyone have anything to share? Great, so Lowestar has rebased to the latest flu.

Did you try interop between wrath and… Aragon, using this lowest star image.

Faheel: I, I tried, before, Lodestar got rebased. So, I'll, I'll try again with, after, after the rebates, yeah.

Jihoon Song: Did it… did it work?

Faheel: Yeah, last time, like, the issue was that, like, there was, like, some data availability, problems which it was running into, the, Lodestar node, but, after I disabled, like, the blobs, spamming it, it worked. So… Yeah, I'll just check, recheck again, see if it's working with the new image.

Jihoon Song: Got it, it sounds like it should work, because blob is something that we don't touch in fossils, so…

Faheel: Yeah. And.

Jihoon Song: Can you also share your Kurtosis config?

Faheel: Yeah, I'll… how do I share it? It's on…

Jihoon Song: I think you can just share it. I mean, you can upload it to your… yeah, you can upload it to your GitHub, or if you just prefer to share script, just sharing in the, Discord channel.

Faheel: Okay, okay, yeah, I'll link it, okay.

Matthew Keil: Yeah, that you could when you… When you get any error messages or any DA issues, do me a favor and just DM them. I'd love to see what you're running across.

Faheel: Okay, yeah, thank you.

Jihoon Song: Do you have any other update? Yes, please?

Pelle Krabbenhoeft: Not so much, Sean. Sorry. Not so much on REF, but I've been working on the sidecar to try to get some more data on sensor transactions. So, I have the… like, the MVP for that working. I've just been using a free… RPC APIs and stuff, just to test it, so I will eventually need… I'm trying to get my own node running right now, or I may need someone else's RPC node to do some real testing with it, but, I'm not sure if I'll have enough storage, but we'll see.

Jihoon Song: Do you have any article that lays out your research direction?

Pelle Krabbenhoeft: I don't… sorry. I don't have anything right now, but I could definitely work on something. Right now, it's just a real basic proof of concept, just trying to see if I can, what I can find. But yeah.

Jihoon Song: Yeah, sounds great. I think it'll be really nice if you can, you know, make… write… write it down, then I can ask… I'm gonna review it myself, of course, but I'm gonna also ask other… other researchers to review it, so then we can elaborate it, I mean, improve it. So, yeah, if you are interested. Definitely.

Pelle Krabbenhoeft: Yeah, sounds great.

Jihoon Song: Great. Do we have more updates? Alright, it seems nuts, so I think we can move on. So… Last but not least, I just wanted to ask, Yeah, do we wanna cancel our next breakout call? Wait. Let me read the chat.

Right, so… until January 5th? There will be no ACD call, except this… the one that we have this week. So… Yes, next month is planned for… planned on the 30th of December. Yes. Alright, I think… we can cancel next one, which was scheduled on the 30th of December, which is also in line with our ACD schedule. Just wanted to ask one more time if… People are preparing something to share in two weeks. Otherwise, we can just cancel next one and see in… 4 weeks, which should be…

on the 13th of January. Yes, Katen?

Katya Riazantseva: Yeah, if we cancel this December 30, it means that we, won't meet before January 8th, alright? So… Before this HECA process decision, or…

Jihoon Song: Are you asking… So… I… do you have…

Katya Riazantseva: Yeah. I always have concerns, like, do we need to meet before, before this HECA process, or not, or…

Matthew Keil: Bite like heck, we're gonna go! Yay!

Jihoon Song: Yeah, so, I think it should be fine, because it is just the beginning of the process, and the process will last for a month, and it is collecting EIPs. that people want to propose for the headliner for HECA, it is not the process that we select for the headliner, so I think it should be fine. But of course, like. If you want to discuss something, or if you want to share something, you can always share it in the Discord, so that people can see it. Or, if you want to discuss something with me, I'm very reachable, so… yeah. And… Yeah, so we had many a thumbs up for canceling next one, so I guess we can see on the…

13th of January. And… yeah, there's… That's all that I've prepared for today. Does anyone have anything to share or discuss? Going once… Going twice… Alright, we can go ahead and wrap this up. Ollie, yeah, thank you everyone joining this call. I hope you guys have a great… End of year, and see you guys in 4 weeks! Thank you.

Katya Riazantseva: Bye, everyone.

Transcript adapted from ethereum/pm, CC BY-SA 3.0.